[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Feb 21 10:16:10 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 of February 2007 15:19:55 Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> So I assume it is a fork, which is generally a Bad Thing.
> May I ask you why forking, and which development forces do you have to
> carry on what appears a daunting task?
> All the best.
> pc

If it is fork depends on what is definition of fork. Generally it should be
independent project which would provide modern programming framework for
analytical modules similar to that in current GRASS. So any user which is
used to work with GRASS command line would be familiar with new system but
inside it'will use completely new design oriented to OOP, extensibility,
parallelity and dynamic languages. Theoretically it should be compatible with
any GRASS's GUI developed over modules in the future.

IMHO a current state of core parts of GRASS is so unogranizes and oldstyled
that any progressive development is very difficult. That is why I think that
start from scratch and only  take good ideas from GRASS is now the best
solution how to make a 21th century open-source GIS realizable.

For next one year I'll be working on making its design and prototype
implementation as my diploma work so even if this project wouldn't keep up it
would be at least a research of GIS domain. I have spoken with a few current
GRASS developers and they invite my ideas so I wish it won't happen.

Only support from comunity I miss for now are discussion of ideas and needs of
features but any kind of help or invention is welcomed.

--
Bc. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Brno University of Technology