[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 21 13:03:22 EST 2007

Martin Landa wrote:

> I am not Radek's speaker;-) Just last time I spoke to him I got
> another impression. GRASS has a long history it is great tool full of
> interesting algorithms. I have talked to many people who looked at
> GRASS code and they got a relativelly bad impression. Generally the
> code (core libraries) is very "old", not object-oriented, sometimes
> very hard to manage and especially to improve the functionality. It is
> pity because GRASS needs more developers, more ideas, more power
> users, maybe "the modern design".

So you're essentially talking about re-writing a complete GIS from
scratch? In which case, why use the "GRASS" name?

GRASS' value isn't in its libraries, but in its modules. Those modules
depend upon the existing (crummy) API provided by the libraries.

AFAICT, the only part of the GRASS code which would be of any use for
the "TNG" project would be the fundamental algorithms contained in the
modules.