[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Feb 21 14:35:45 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 of February 2007 19:03:22 Glynn Clements wrote:
> So you're essentially talking about re-writing a complete GIS from
> scratch? In which case, why use the "GRASS" name?

I mean and I don't. It's because of a way how I approach to my project's
design. I'm starting to think about an abstract GIS package for easy
development of modules (which can be used same way as GRASS's ones) and how
it should "ideally" look like. Then I/we'll be clarifying that idea to more
details so that certain shape of it will appear. When we'll be satisfied with
its shape then I would be the best time to proceed to some prototype
implementation to prove that concept could work. And then it'll be just up to
all developers current or new ones if some prototype part of implementation
will stay or if they'll be replaced with current GRASS code or completely new
and optimal one.

> GRASS' value isn't in its libraries, but in its modules. Those modules
> depend upon the existing (crummy) API provided by the libraries.

Yes, I completely agree with that. but tall tree can't have wormy roots.

> AFAICT, the only part of the GRASS code which would be of any use for
> the "TNG" project would be the fundamental algorithms contained in the
> modules.

I agree again. I'm not afraid to take a C code of an module read it and
rewrite it in clearer way if I would have powerfull tools to do that.

--
Bc. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Brno University of Technology