[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Feb 21 15:52:09 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 of February 2007 19:22:12 Roger Bivand wrote:
> I'm replying offlist, because this is just a suggestion. To get things
> rolling, could you look at how one might re-implement a couple of GRASS
> modules on top of Terralib:
>
> http://www.terralib.org/
>
> It is under active development, and ought to provide a lot of the
> infrastructure needed. Because there already is a Terraview front-end, you
> can be agnostic about that - I see your proposal as repacing the poorly
> defined API with a well-defined one, and Terralib is well-defined. I guess
> you know about databases, so getting a running Terralib system ought to be
> easy, from there a matter of emulating a couple of GRASS CLI modules to
> take data from the Te source, manipulate the data, and push it back into
> the database.

I didn't know about this piece of software. At a first look it look very
promising. It needs to take a closer look and consideration if this will be
applicable to my/our ideas but if it does it can make a big save of time with
implementation. Perhaps it'll bring GRASS-TBG too far from GRASS so it's up
to comuntity to consider this too. For now is GRASS-TNG in stage of taking
ideas on paper (a electrical one :-)) but later this can help a lot.

Thank you for this note.

--
Bc. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology