[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Feb 21 19:37:22 EST 2007

On Thursday 22 of February 2007 00:45:58 Michael Barton wrote:

You write a nice e-mail sumarizing what is this flamewar all about. I didn't
come up with this idea one bright morning but I thought about that few
months.

I've been thinking about joining some GIS project end help to improve them as
a team member but only GRASS addressed me. Unfortunatelly only from user's
view. I'm just used to program in "modern" way that I don't want to deal with
refactoring of old-styled C code. Joining core development team wouldn't
bring me that kind of fun because I would have to deal with that code I don't
like so I'd rather do something else, something completely different. My
project is an offer how to contribute to GRASS development and you (everyone)
may consider if you want that kind of contribution or if you don't need this.

I know that I won't avoid using this old-styled code if I'd like to use some
parts of GRASS but people who think same as me and who will be using product
of this work (if ever) won't be forced to deal with that stuff. And this is
all about. Prepare kind of programming environment for easy module
development and dynamic languages support which could live as a "contribute"
branch (or part if you like) of GRASS in parallel. In addition I want to
implement a few basic examples of using this evronment which should do
something "usefull" but not necessarily something that is not here already or
that is more optimal.

This brings me an idea how to change its name. What about GAL (GRASS
Abstraction Layer). Would it be acceptable to everyone?

--
Bc. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Brno University of Technology