[GRASS-dev] Modules

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 22 11:40:26 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> > The attached patch completely eliminates the use of the raster library
> > and display drivers by v.digit, in favour of a Tk canvas widget. The
> > patch needs to be applied from within the v.digit directory.
>
> I'm fairly tied up for a couple of days but really intrigued by these
> changes. Is this at a point where someone like me could actually make use of
> these new features? (i.e., from outside the C environment). Can I call them
> from TclTk? Could Jachym call them from wx.Python?

Right now, v.digit is a hybrid Tcl/Tk+C application, with no
dependence upon the raster library.

However, it's rather "backwards" at the moment, e.g. it's primarily C
calling out to Tcl/Tk, rather than the other way around. You can't
really extend it using Tcl at present.

If the idea of using Tk's canvas works out, the next logical step
would be to move the control logic into Tcl, reducing the C portions
to Tcl commands.

The restructuring would also make it easier to re-write it using e.g.
Python.