[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Thu Feb 22 17:54:38 EST 2007

> Is it really a fork() or is it being done from scratch?  From what I've
> read, it seems that the latter is the case except the layout will be
> borrowed.
>
> Let me pose a hypothetical:
> Suppose someone acquired your DNA, created a child and called it
> Upgraded Hruby Martin II.  How would you react?
>
> That is essentially what this is.  It seems clear to me that there no
> intention or path to contribute back to GRASS.  It's a one way street
> and that bothers me.
>
> I encourage new developments.  All I ask is please don't call it
> something it isn't.

Please read my previous post to this spreaded thread. I explained there that
in first stages this project should be more on paper than in code and that it
needs certain tool for confortance of its specifying so it cannot be hosted
withing GRASS wiki directly. But that does not mean that if core developers
will consider it usefull, it cannot be imported to GRASS repository and wiki.

I said that it will not be independent GIS package only programming
environment or abstraction layer which can be putted beside GRASS to support
programming of modules for those who don't want to use current GRASS core
libraries for that job.

And I finally said that its name will change to GAL (GIS Abstraction Layer)
since there is problem with this and since I don't care how it is called.

--
Bc. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Brno University of Technology