[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Feb 22 21:24:25 EST 2007

Names and branding are pretty significant for well-established products that
are widely used globally. Your suggestion below seems fine with me
personally.

I agree with you that a WIKI is not a development environment. For that
reason we have the main GRASS cvs repository AND the grassaddon subversion
repository. The latter can be used especially for preliminary and
experimental development. Jachym and I are using it for initial development
of the next generation GUI for GRASS--in wx.Python (which as you might know
is built on C++). By working there, however, even though the code is a
complete rewrite of the GUI, others in the GRASS community can check out the
code and try it, offer input, and join in development if they are so
inclined. You don't need to do this at the current stage of your project,
but should know that this resource exists.

The main GRASS cvs also has some sections for early development code, but is
increasingly used for mainline GRASS--once code is well-enough developed to
be (at least optionally) included with GRASS source.

Michael

On 2/22/07 2:03 PM, "Radek Bartoň" <xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:

> Naming a project is a smallest thing about this discussion. I don't realize
> that using this TNGed name is such a big deal since there are a lot of -tng,
> Ya (Yet Another), "is not" and other names in open source. I'm sorry for that.
> Whould be calling it GAL (GIS Abstraction Layer) with possibility to rename it
> to (GRASS Abstraction Layer) when joined to GRASS repository acceptable to
> everone?

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213