[GRASS-dev] GRASS inefficiency and FFTW

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 26 20:34:47 EST 2007

stefano de paoli wrote:

> >From my point of view it is interesting to observe how
> the conflicts between the GPL and the pre-GPL'ed GRASS
> code were resolved and what are the results of this
> process.
>
> The question might be "has the GPL choice introduced
> somewhere in the GRASS code an inefficiency?"
>
> The NR.FFT Vs FFTW  case seems to introduce an
> inefficiency at least in terms of memory usage.
>
> What seems also interesting is that this inefficiency
> is well known by the developers, but as such it as not
> yet been resolved.

There's plenty more where that came from.

The efficiency issues with the fft() interface are but a single
instance of a more widespread issue, namely that the GRASS codebase is
extremely large relative to the number of active developers.

The last time I analysed it, GRASS came out as roughly comparable to
the XFree86 codebase, but we only have a tiny fraction of the manpower
of the XFree86/Xorg project.