[GRASS-dev] Re: g.rename consolidation

Jáchym Čepický jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 04:01:52 EST 2007

Hi,
after discussion with Martin, I suggest:

GRASS_VERBOSE=0 ... QUIET_MODE - print nothing
GRASS_VERBOSE=1 ... PERCENT_MODE - print only progress information
(with relevant messge maybe?)
GRASS_VERBOSE=2 ... MESSAGE_MODE - print only messages, withou any
progress information
GRASS_VERBOSE=3 ... PERMSG_MODE - print progress and messages

GRASS> g.module --q  -> QUIET_MODE
GRASS> g.module --v  -> PERMSG_MODE

We are also discussing another problem:

If GRASS_VERBOSE==1, only percents are printed out, which is a little
bit confusing. It would be great, if the output would look like this:

GRASS> GRASS_VERBOSE=1; v.convert in out
Reading vector lines: 50 %
Writing vector lines: 23 %

But how to perform this?

1) On module level:
  if (G_verbose() == PERCENT_MODE) G_message("Reading vector lines");

2) Introduce new function:
  G_message_percent("Reading vector lines");

3) Add new parameter to  G_percent:
   G_percent("Reading vector lines", x,y);
   or maybe better:
   char s[]="Reading vector lines";