[GRASS-dev] gis.m crashes on zoom to map existing in more than one mapset

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jan 4 08:12:23 EST 2007

Hi Michael,

I don't know if this is just another manifestation of the changes in
g.region, but gis.m crashes when I try to zoom to a map which exists in
more than one mapset of the current location.

To reproduce in spearfish, in mapset user1:

1) g.copy rast=bugsites at PERMANENT,bugsites (or any other raster or
vector map)

2) display bugsites

3) zoom to selected map

The command used in mapcanvas.tcl is g.region -ugp rast=bugsites. This
gives:

GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > g.region -ugp rast=bugsites
WARNING: 'cell/bugsites' was found in more mapsets (also found in user1).
projection=1
zone=13
datum=nad27
ellipsoid=clark66
n=4928000
s=4914000
w=590000
e=609000
nsres=100
ewres=100
rows=140
cols=190
cells=26600

So I imagine that the WARNING is what causes the problem.

Just as a side note: I have always found it illogical that when I work
with the map in mapset user1 (or at least I think I do), the warning
tells me that the map _also_ exists in user1, as if it was currently
working with the one in PERMANENT.
Does this mean, that being in mapset user1, and launching a command on a
map that exists both in user1 and in PERMANENT makes the command work
with the version in PERMANENT, or is it just a confusing formulation ?
I have always worked with the idea that it is the second. Any reason for
this formulation or could we change this to "map also exists in
PERMANENT (or whatever _other_ mapsets than the one you are currently in)" ?

Moritz