[GRASS-dev] gis.m crashes on zoom to map existing in more than one mapset

Daniel Calvelo dca.gis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 17:58:23 EST 2007

On 1/5/07, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
> > The command used in mapcanvas.tcl is g.region -ugp rast=bugsites. This
> > gives:
> >
> > GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > g.region -ugp rast=bugsites
> > WARNING: 'cell/bugsites' was found in more mapsets (also found in user1).
>
> This is a good example of why the solution to the recent
> g.region/gis.m issues is to make gis.m handle warnings correctly
> rather than trying to eliminate specific warnings.
>
> Even the simplest program can potentially result in warnings (or
> similar diagnostics) being generated by libgis (or other libraries) in
> some cases. And for third-party libraries (of which GDAL may use a
> significant number), there is nothing which can be done about it.

Would having G_warning() output "#WARNING:" help? The initial '#'
would be parseable as a comment, as it is in the shell. And alongside,
eval of output in scripts wouldn't be affected. Of course, strict
discipline of using G_* messages is compulsory.

> Tcl's behaviour of treating anything written to stderr as an error is
> a nuisance, but one which has to be dealt with so long as we continue
> to use Tcl.

IMO, this is THE reason to get serious about wxPython.

2c.

Daniel.

--
-- Daniel Calvelo Aros