[GRASS-dev] gis.m crashes on zoom to map existing in more than one mapset

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Jan 6 04:22:44 EST 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Merging stdout and stderr is purely a workaround for a Tcl misfeature
> (treating anything written to stderr as an error). In the case where
> you're actually parsing the output (rather than just dumping it to the
> "gronsole" widget), it's the wrong workaround. In that case, stderr
> should be redirected to a file or discarded (redirected to /dev/null
> or NUL).

Of course. That's the simple and more obvious fix for the recent g.region
issues. I've updated gui/tcltk/gis.m/mapcanvas.tcl (after Michael's fixes
last night) to just discard stderr after all those g.region calls instead
of merging it with stdout. So the calls to g.region should be tripley
robust now (catch, discarding stderr, and checking the output lines match
a regexp).