[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS startup window patches, map names restrictions

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 05:34:59 EST 2007

Well - there are some restrictions in real life. And they seem to be
just undocumented. That's bad.

I can confirm, that using non-latin character with UTF-8 encoding in
mapset name, will make mapset/GRASS unusable.
Map names also can not contain unicode characters.
Location with unicode chars seem to be OK. Except, it will break
startup screen in text mode :)
IMHO other GRASS places are also not unicode aware.
Locations can not contain spaces - creating new location in text mode
startup screen will simply ignore anything after space. In GUI
creating new location from EPSG code with space in name will simply
result in nothing - no error, no location. Sometimes it will work.

Probably we should push forward policy, that only latin characters and
numbers are allowed in map/mapset names? Like "[a-Z] [0-9] _-".
Pros for such approach: no need to check all GRASS code to be unicode
etc. aware.
Cons: limit's user choice; Unfriendly to non-English speakers.

I see, that "," is now included in illegal character list - it's no
longer possible to create raster map with comma in name. OFT: Comma is
decimal separator in Latvian language (and others too) and thus I once
created map name with comma. I was not able to use that map in other
places anymore ;)

Maris.