[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS startup window patches

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 06:00:03 EST 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Michael Barton wrote:

> Now that I know what the changes attempt to do, I tried it out. In my case
> at least, after making a new location, it went straight into GRASS. It
> didn't return to the startup screen so that the user could decide to use or
> not use the new location.
>
> This is not due to Maris' changes, but to the way the startup worked in the
> first place. Gis_set.tcl doesn't seem to even run g.setproj. It looks like
> it returns to init.sh for this. I'm not exactly sure why it is writing a
> bunch of values to stdout just prior to this either. Is it trying to set
> some environmental variables for init.sh?

Something like that. I agree too that that's not the best way - in fact
I'd already changed it that for Windows, when you click "Create location
using projection values" it pops up a terminal window to run etc/set_data.
It's not just g.setproj - etc/set_data also forces the user to set
the initial region and in general does a bit more (I'm not 100% sure what
else, but creating the projection files and setting the initial region are
the main things).

I would like it though that we could just run g.setproj and return to
gis_set.tcl - as it's a bit confusing running set_data - after creating
the location you have to press Ctrl-C to exit back out.

If we can design a GUI widget to force the user to verify/set the initial
region after creating a new location, then this could be presented after
the 3 different methods of creating a new location. And then we could
simplify the "using projection values" button to running g.setproj in a
pop-up xterm Window and do the region setting through the GUI afterwards.

> I don't mind committing this, but it seems like we ought to do a bit more
> first. What about having gis_set.tcl do the running of g.setproj and then
> return to the refreshed startup? This seems like a better, more consistent
> way to go.

I have committed Maris's patch now, with this extra modification. The
thing is, you still need to press Ctrl-C to exit out of it after creating
the new location. And that isn't obvious. But, like I said, once we can do
the initial region setting in the GUI, then we can simplify that.

Paul