[GRASS-dev] GRASS GEM and Ruby GEM name collision

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Jan 9 02:53:49 EST 2007

OK, I have a few updates pending for GEM and will hopefully be able
to commit them this weekend, fixing all the problems reported so far
by various users.

How about just using gem62, gem63 etc. as executable names -- wouldn't
that be enough to make sure it does not conflict with the Ruby tool?

Benjamin

Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Maris Nartiss wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just was browsing Gentoo bugzilla and found, that there is name
>> collision between GRASS and Ruby Gems - both use "gem" as executable
>> name. [1]
>>
>> As GEM is not yet very popular, could we just rename GEM executable to
>> i.e. "grassgem" or something more specific? Or any other ideas how to
>> fix name collision, as just using different install path (--prefix) is
>> not a solution.
>
> Hi,
>
> BTW, there is another issue - since gem is installed into the
> PREFIX/bin, versions comming with eg. GRASS 6.2.1 and 6.3 are in
> conflict. It used to be possible to have many GRASS versions installed
> in parallel, without confilcts. Maybe to fix it, along with changing
> the gem executable name, add a version suffix to it, and install only
> the link in PREFIX/bin, keeping the executable in $GISBASE/bin?
>
> I'd suggest the name to be gem_grass"suffix", eg. gem_grass63.
>
> Maciek
>
> P.S.
> There are references to following missing pictures in the GEM manual:
>
> /usr/lib/latex2html/icons/nx_grp_g.png
> /usr/lib/latex2html/icons/up_g.png
> /usr/lib/latex2html/icons/prev_g.png

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany