[GRASS-dev] Re: What is a binary executable doing in CVS?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 23 14:04:23 EST 2007

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> > Why are we including what appears to be a MacOSX binary for GNU make
> > in CVS (gem/skeleton/macosx/bin/make)? We wouldn't normally store
> > binary executables in CVS.
> >
> > Apart from anything else, this obligates us to either host the source
> > code for that version of make, or offer to provide the source code
> > upon request for three years from the time that the binary is no
> > longer available via CVS. Do we even know which version of the source
> > code we need to supply?
>
> Oops, that's a leftover from pre-CVS development of GEM.
> Just delete it if you want.

Unfortunately, "cvs remove" won't suffice, because the file will still
be available from CVS using an explicit revision.

We either need to add the corresponding source code to CVS (a tarball
would suffice, but it needs to be the correct version), or have
someone manually remove the ,v file from the repository.