[GRASS-dev] Nviz animation wish

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 01:29:47 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> I¹m not sure where xganim went, but it no longer compiles by default
> on my Mac.

xganim requires grass to be configured with Motif (lesstif) support.
[if we rewrite xganim, we can finally dump the motif dependancy]

> It was pretty klunky, but it served a potentially
> important role that I miss. I wonder if something like it¹s
> functionality could be incorporated into one of the nviz animation
> modules.

I suggest rewritting it (and everything else except NVIZ) using WxPython.
IMO there is no point in rewriting things in TclTk when we know we will
soon rewrite to WxPython- double the work & hurts what little WxPython
momentum we have. Better to make the leap sooner rather than later..

As a manual NVIZ animation solution, perhaps load both surfaces with
the Z slider of the 2nd surface set slightly below the 1st, then with
time have the 2nd surface rise as the 1st surface sinks? So 2 "blooms"
through 1. Perhaps tweak the Z-exag of surface 2 slightly to make the
transition less harsh.

Hamish