[GRASS-dev] Re: BLAS/LAPACK

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 01:50:20 EST 2007

Brad Douglas wrote:

> I do have a few imagery modules I want to finish, but I moved on to
> something else once BLAS/LAPACK became an issue.  I've implemented a
> few more routines for the imagery spectral modules, but it was
> problematic. What are the alternatives, other than very, very
> patiently waiting for gcc4 to catch up (this will be some time from
> what I have gathered from the gcc mailing lists)?
>
> Forcing users to compile with gcc3.x in order to gain functionality is
> not my idea of usability.  IIRC, gcc3.x doesn't support macros for
> multi-core CPU ops, which have been implemented in lib/gpde.  They
> will be safely ignored in gcc3.x, but it would be nice.

(with sincere apologies to RMS)

does it need a functional Fortran compiler, or a functional gcc f2c?

Other (non-Free) Fortran compilers do exist for Linux, and some of them
do work very nicely..... could the gcc4.x C compiler be used with e.g.
ifc, until the day gcc-F gets fixed? Then GRASS -dev is not stalled due
to 3rd party/sole-supplier problems.

Hamish