[GRASS-dev] File based GRASS batch processing?

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 22 13:27:45 EST 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 08:09, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often have to process large data sets on remote
> machines which takes more than a day. Since I
> cannot keep the ssh connection open for so long,
> it would be very convenient to have the possibility
> to pass a file (containing GRASS commands) as
> parameter to the startup script, say something like:
>
> nohup grass63 -text -batch myjobs.sh ~/grassdata/spearfish60/neteler/ &
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I assume that this would require changes in lib/init/init.*
> (maybe for now only lib/init/init.sh).
>
> Before wasting time on this, any suggestions for a best
> implementation? Maybe I am overlooking an easy solution.
>
> Markus

Hi Markus,

It has been mentioned once already by Stephan, but I too would highly
recommend screen. I use this routinely for large GRASS jobs on remote
machines via ssh. The most important commands can be summarized in a couple
sentences:

ssh remote_machine
screen
grass63 location/mapset
v.surf.rst in=bigfile

(now you are back to the shell on the remote machine)
exit

to reconnect:
ssh remote_machine
screen -r

if you have more than one screen session going, use the session number to
reconnect.

Cheers,

Dylan

--