[GRASS-dev] [bug #5454] (grass) ps.map scaling not correct when projection units are feet

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 01:59:08 EST 2007

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5454
>
> Subject: ps.map scaling not correct when projection units are feet

fixed in 6.3-CVS and 6.2 release branch. Also fixes bug #3096.

outstanding issue, due to :

> > > and a PROJ_UNITS file of:
> > > unit: US survey foot
> > > units: US survey foots
Hamish:
> > foots?            ^^^^^^^

Tom:
> That's what it picked on its own.  I think the function that chooses
> the plural just tacks an "s" on the end except under very specific
> conditions.

lib/gis/proj2.c, proj3.c have some pluralizing magic, but in this case
that's the way it's stored in the PROJ_UNITS file created from EPSG code
#2258.

G63> g.proj -p
-PROJ_INFO-------------------------------------------------
name       : Transverse Mercator
proj       : tmerc
datum      : nad83
ellps      : grs80
lat_0      : 31
lon_0      : -106.25
k          : 0.999900
x_0        : 500000.0001016001
y_0        : 0
no_defs    : defined
-PROJ_UNITS------------------------------------------------
unit       : US survey foot
units      : US survey foots
meters     : 0.3048006096012192

the only place I see "US survey foot" in the code is one line in
lib/proj/unit_of_measure.csv.

Create new locn from EPSG code is in general/g.proj/output.c,
but I don't really follow it.

The string gets passed to the ps.map mapinfo output, so it matters.
Work-around: edit the PERMANENT/PROJ_UNITS file by hand.

Hamish

ps- should we undelete lib/init/make_location_epsg.sh.in and move it into
tools/ as a useful utility script?