[GRASS-dev] r.colors

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 16:09:36 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> Since we're talking about color rules, I should mention that it is
> confusing to users to have 2 lists of predefined color tables show up
> in the r.colors GUI. I know what the difference is, but it is not
> obvious to most users. Since these additional rules files have been
> accompanying GRASS for a couple years now how about...
>
> 1. we include these color rules in the list of predefined color
> tables, and 2. change the second list to a browse function where a
> user could easily input her/his own color rules file without having to
> use a redirect from the command line.

note that the second list (rules=) doesn't allow grey.eq, grey.log.

can the file browser be told to start out in $GISBASE/etc/colors?
 (I'm pretty sure I already know the answer for TclTk: "no")

rules= files are easier to add and maintain, the only thing colors= has
going for it is the rules can be little programs, and long time
backwards compatitbility.

I guess the other option is a new rulesfile= file browser option to load
custom rules, but I think your point was to reduce complexity :)
Perhaps that's better for a wrapper script that pipes the input file
into r.colors.

FWIW r.colors will take rules interactively if you start it with:

GRASS> r.colors map_name color=rules

Hamish