[GRASS-dev] time to release 6.2.2

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 23:46:15 EDT 2007

Markus:
> I would suggest to release 6.2.2 officially the next days if nobody
> objects.

Hamish:
> I found a glitch with v.in.gpsbabel on the Mac which I'd like to fix
> before release.

done.

Paul:
> As I noted before (..) Grass 6.2.2 seems to already be tagged (as
> grass_6_2_2) in CVS.
..
> I still think it is a good idea to include the date of releases in the
> tag name, less confusion that way, e.g. release_20070702_grass_6_2_2 -

I agree, it reduces confusion about a CVS tag being a conceptual alias
to a timestamp, as opposed to a separate working CVS branch line.
"grass_x_y_z" by itself is easily confused with a release branch line.

summary of previously used tags:
  http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/GPL.TXT
  http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/GPL.TXT

"release_YYYYMMDD_grass_x_y_z" (or "YYYYMMDD_grass_x_y_z", or some other
combination) sorts well.
nb. "release" and "grass" may be redundant noise in the tag name

Paul:
> Good luck in shifting the tag!

Markus:
> I found this documentation:
> http://cvsnt.org/manual/html/Modifying-tags.html
>
> Anyone with experience...?

Glynn:
> If you want to discard the existing grass_6_2_2 tag and tag the
> current version:
>
>	cvs rtag -d grass_6_2_2 grass6
>	cvs tag -c release_20070702_grass_6_2_2

see also