[GRASS-dev] moving r.cva into GRASS CVS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 3 12:10:00 EDT 2007

There have been some mention of possible licensing issues. If these are
solved, I think that this is a great idea.

One suggestion is to have defaults that make r.cva operate like r.los. Since
I don't use it a lot yet (due to installation issues that have come and
gone), I have trouble remembering the settings that let it do simple
viewsheds--though I know that it does them.

Michael

On 7/3/07 6:50 AM, "Benjamin Ducke" <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de> wrote:

> I am getting more and more requests about r.cva. Obviously, there
> is a lot of people who know about and want to use it.
> So far, none of them has been able to make any sense of the GEM
> installation routine.
>
> I suggest we include r.cva in the main GRASS CVS tree.
> It is stable but with some poorly tested options. Together, we could
> test and improve it in time for the GRASS 6.2.3 release.
>
> With some recent fixes I made, r.cva (as opposed to r.los) runs fine
> on Win32, as well.
>
> Since r.cva can do all that r.los can do, I suggest replacing r.los
> with a script that calls r.cva with the same parameters you would pass
> to r.los. That way, we need to maintain only on code base.
> It would probably be necessary to add an option to r.cva to specify
> observer coordinates directly but that should not be hard to do.
>
> If you all agree to that, I will just get in touch with Mark Lake
> to make sure we have no licensing issues here and can put the code
> under GPL.
>
> Benjamin

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity