[GRASS-dev] Re: datumtransform.table question

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jul 4 18:37:32 EDT 2007

On 7/4/07 3:21 PM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Glynn and Paul,
>>
>> I'm hoping you can help me clear up an issue with datum transforms.
>>
>> I've got the location wizard in wxgrass creating PROJ.4 strings and ready to
>> test it making new locations that way. I've run into an odd problem. I went
>> to test it using my home state of Arizona, wanting to see the PROJ.4 string
>> for UTM, zone 12, with a NAD83 datum.
>>
>> The problem is in the datum transform table.
>>
>> If I use the old g.setproj and pick UTM zone 12, I am prompted to enter a
>> datum transform. There are 6 choices, listed here...
>>
>> Enter 'list' to see the list of available Parameter sets
>> Enter the corresponding number, or <RETURN> to cancel request
>>> list
>>
>> Number  Details
>> ---
>> 1       Used in whole nad83 region
>>        (PROJ.4 Params towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000)
>>        Default 3-Parameter Transformation (May not be optimum for older
>> datums;
>> use this only if no more appropriate options are available.)
>> ---
>> 2       Used in Florida
>>        (PROJ.4 Params nadgrids=FL)
>>        Transforms 'Old NAD83' to 'HPGN NAD83'
>> ---
>> 3       Used in Maryland
>>        (PROJ.4 Params nadgrids=MD)
>>        Transforms 'Old NAD83' to 'HPGN NAD83'
>> ---
>> 4       Used in Tennessee
>>        (PROJ.4 Params nadgrids=TN)
>>        Transforms 'Old NAD83' to 'HPGN NAD83'
>> ---
>> 5       Used in Wisconsin
>>        (PROJ.4 Params nadgrids=WI)
>>        Transforms 'Old NAD83' to 'HPGN NAD83'
>> ---
>> 6       Used in Washington - Oregon
>>        (PROJ.4 Params nadgrids=WO)
>>        Transforms 'Old NAD83' to 'HPGN NAD83'
>> ---
>>
>> When I pick #1 for Arizona, this create a location with PROJ.4 settings as
>> follows (retrieved with g.proj -j)...
>>
>> +proj=utm
>> +zone=12
>> +a=6378137
>> +rf=298.257222101
>> +no_defs
>> +towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000
>> +to_meter=1.0
>>

>> However, the datumtransform.table file lacks transform #1. Here are all the
>> NAD83 entries. You can see, that they include transforms #2-6, but that #1
>> is missing.
>
> In datum.table, the values specified by dx= dy= and dz= , if all less than
> 99999 (see notes at the top of this file), will be offered to the user as
> parameter set number 1 in the form towgs84=dx,dy,dz.

OK. I understand.

> Sorry for the obscurity of this; it's just an historical artefact of the
> first (generally unsuccessful) attempt to add datum transformation support
> to GRASS in the 1990s and something that had to be kept for backwards
> compatibility when the capability to have multiple parameter sets per
> datum was added.

Is there any way that this can be built explicitly into datumtransform.table
when it is created? That is, can this virtual transform 1 be added? It is
doable, but not easy, to parse this out after datum.table and
datumtransform.table have been created and I'm trying to read them into the
location wizard.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity