[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-CVS] carlos: grass6/raster/r.his main.c, 2.6, 2.7

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 19:48:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Brad Douglas wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 14:33 +0200, Martin Landa wrote:
>> Ciao Carlos,
>>
>> I am not sure too (it is the question for native speakers...)
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/message-standardization-on-wiki-tf3559274.html#a9939189
>>
>> "Cannot open raster map" X "Unable to open raster map"
>
> There is no issue with tense here.
>
> I prefer "Unable to".  It's negative without being so forcefully
> negative (if that makes any sense).  Either will work, but I believe
> there are fewer cases of "Cannot..." than "Unable to..." in source.

I'm just replying to make the point how there really seems to be no
difference between the two forms: I disagree with the above and feel
"unable to" sounds much more harsh and formal than "can not", "cannot" or
"can't", which IMHO correspond more with every day speech. But perhaps
there is a American/European English difference here. In which case given
GRASS's roots the American is probably the way to go I guess? Are there
any languages into which, when translated, the two phrases mean something
substantially different?

In any case I think it is clearer if error messages like these (resulting
from filesystem errors) are augmented where possible with the system error
message from strerror(errno()) - see e.g. in lib/gis/copy_file.c:
         G_warning( "Cannot open %s for reading: %s", infile,
                    strerror(errno) );

Here's a thought - to me, "unable to" suggests that the reason why
something could not be done is outside GRASS's control, and perhaps would
suit the above example from G_copy_file() better than "cannot" as the
reason (the system error message) is presented after the GRASS error.
Whereas perhaps "cannot" suggests that's simply all there is to it and
the program is unable to go into any more depth on what caused the error.
i.e.
"unable to": error/warning caused by something outside GRASS; say what it
is
"cannot": error/warning is something within GRASS that genuinely isn't
possible.
But I'm really splitting hairs here, trying to justify why we have the two
forms in GRASS. But perhaps it isn't possible to justify that...

Paul