[GRASS-dev] Some progress on Win32 attribute deadlock problem

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sat Jul 7 09:57:38 EDT 2007

>> If any of you have any bright ideas, I'd be grateful to hear about them.
>
> My first guesses would be:
>
> 1. The "#ifdef __MINGW32__" portion of lib/db/dbmi_client/start.c
> 2. The Windows port of the RPC/XDR library.
>
> If the behaviour is non-deterministic (i.e. you don't get exactly the
> same behaviour from consecutive runs), I would suspect that it's
> timing related. Checking that incomplete read/write operations are
> correctly handled might be a good place to start.
>
> --

Interesting. I've had some other folks suggest a timing/priority problem,
too. I think we are getting closer here. I was going to look into XDR lib
on a  hunch, too.
How would you advice to check for incomplete read/write ops: keep a count
of open files and compare it to the number of closed files once for every
run through the main export loop in v.out.ogr? I haven't done a lot of
system level programming for a long time so I am somewhat out of practice.

Cheers,

Benjamin