[GRASS-dev] Directory security/permission issue

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Wed Jul 11 20:06:59 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 17:27 +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > The mode passed to mkdir is modified by the process' umask to obtain
> > > the actual mode of the directory. If you're ending up with
> > > world-writable directories, that implies that your umask is zero,
> > > which is insecure.
> > >
> > > Your umask should normally be at least 0022, (or 0022 if you want
> > > files to be group-writable, which is sometimes useful); if you're
> > > paranoid, use 0077 (i.e. no permissions for anyone but yourself).
> >
> > umask...figures.  Your lack of cerebral bitrot astounds me.  I had
> > completely forgotten about it and I, apparently, was too arrogant to
> > look at a manpage. ;-)
> >
> > Don't know how, but my umask was set to 0002.
>
> Odd; 0002 should give mode 775 for directories.

I know.  I figured that at one point, the umask must have been 0, but
after some further testing, all new directory permissions are 0777
REGARDLESS of manual change to umask.  This leads me to believe it is
getting set somewhere in GRASS.  Maybe lib/init/set_data.c?

This does not happen when a new location is created when already in the
GRASS shell (r.in.gdal).

I also noticed that Fedora has recently changed /etc/bashrc to set the
umask to 0002 for normal users.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>