[GRASS-dev] r.in.xyz can now read from stdin

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Jul 12 14:47:28 EDT 2007

Hello,

Hamish:
>I just added redirection from stdin support to r.in.xyz. Everything seems to
>work, but of course testing is appreciated.

Thanks very much for this. I've tested r.in.xyz on a massive Simrad EM710 swath bathymetry dataset. Results follow:

$ g.region -p
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       20
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      5027110
south:      4878260
west:       169140
east:       404580
nsres:      10
ewres:      10
rows:       14885
cols:       23544
cells:      350452440

$ r.out.xyz input=Matthew_EM710_2007_July4_10m.grd fs=, output=- | r.in.xyz input=- output=TESTING_R_IN_XYZ fs=,
Scanning data ...
 100%
Writing to map ...
 100%
r.in.xyz complete. 35315212 points found in region.

$ r.info TESTING_R_IN_XYZ
 | Layer:    TESTING_R_IN_XYZ               Date: Thu Jul 12 15:30:19 2007    |
 | Mapset:   2007006                        Login of Creator: epatton         |
 | Location: FundyBathy                                                       |
 | DataBase: /home/epatton/Projects                                           |
 | Title:    Raw x,y,z data binned into a raster grid by cell mean ( TESTING_ |
 | Timestamp: none                                                            |
 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 255             |
 |   Data Type:    FCELL                                                      |
 |   Rows:         14885                                                      |
 |   Columns:      23544                                                      |
 |   Total Cells:  350452440                                                  |
 |        Projection: UTM (zone 20)                                           |
 |            N:    5027110    S:    4878260   Res:    10                     |
 |            E:     404580    W:     169140   Res:    10                     |
 |   Range of data:    min = -278.542236  max = -3.504807                     |
 |   Data Source:                                                             |
 |    stdin                                                                   |
 |   Data Description:                                                        |
 |    generated by r.in.xyz                                                   |
 |   Comments:                                                                |
 |    r.in.xyz input="-" output="TESTING_R_IN_XYZ" method="mean" type="FCE\   |
 |    LL" x=1 y=2 z=3 percent=100                                             |

The newly-gridded bathy looks fine; identical to the original.

Before I leave work today I'm going to halve the resolution (quadruple the number of cells), and start another r.out.xyz --> r.in.xyz run, and let it run overnight. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning (wee hours Saturday morning your time). Just for fun, I'll 'time' it as well.

Cheers,

~ Eric.