[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] g.list pager

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 02:46:03 EDT 2007

> Hamish wrote:
> > Debian packaging rules state that the default pager will be 'less',
> > not GRASS's default of 'more'.

Glynn:
> IMHO, the default value of GRASS_PAGER ought to be $PAGER, if that is
> set.

On the DebianGIS list Francesco corrected me (again), it's actually
patched to use the default system `pager` (set in /usr/bin with a
symlink). The default alternative just happens to be a symlink to
/usr/bin/less. So in practice YHO is already in force on Debian.
If GRASS_PAGER is set it is respected.

H:
> > .grassrc6 is not what you expect. It holds the g.gisenv GIS
> > variables, it's not a shell script containing commands like .bashrc
> > is.
G:
> We should change the name for 7.x. It isn't an "rc" file in the
> conventional sense.

Name change gets my vote.  -> .grass_env or .grass7_env?
Is the major version needed in the filename?

> > Use .grass.bashrc for setting shell enviro variables instead. (or
> > .bashrc)
>
> Note that ~/.grass.bashrc only affects the interactive shell which is
> spawned from Init.sh; it doesn't affect the operation of Init.sh
> itself. For that, use ~/.bashrc (or similar).
>
> It might be worth having a separate rc file which is sourced from the
> top of Init.sh.

is there a point to having two rc files? ie when would you want to use
the second one if you have the first? better to just source
.grass.bashrc at the start of Init.sh and dispense with the idea of a
second script?

> Also, on the subject of potential Init.sh changes, I'd suggest getting
> rid of the $HOME "games" and just setting HISTFILE to put the history
> file in the mapset directory (AFAICT, that is the primary purpose of
> the $HOME stuff).

I agree. You say "primary purpose", what else does it touch?

Hamish