[GRASS-dev] d.font -l: please sort alphabetically

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 18:29:14 EDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> stupid question: what about a GRASS system fontcap file and
> a user one? Then read in together and concatenate before
> going ahead? Then accidential overwrite won't happen.

Hmmm, I think that might be over-complicating things a bit? I suppose the
fontcap file can already be considered a "user" file as it reflects the
fonts available on the user's local machine. And g.mkfontcap is like a
tool to help the user create the file I suppose, e.g. it has an option to
add extra directories to search for fonts.

I'm not sure what's best. But the file will always be re-generated after a
make distclean anyway, and it's not likely to become out of date unless
someone adds new fonts to their system - but maybe it should be clearly
documented somewhere that g.mkfontcap needs to be run to pick up the new
fonts? That is probably only relevant to GUI users anyway, who might get
confused between the GRASS font list and the font list displayed in other
GUI applications. "Scan local system for available fonts" could perhaps be
an advanced option in the GUI somewhere, and it would simply run
g.mkfontcap -o plus it could maybe have an option to specify extra
directories to look for fonts in?

I think once the current changes settle down there won't really be an
issue here, but it will be interesting to see if any further issues arise
from the way the GUI uses the fonts.

Paul