[GRASS-dev] r.terraflow on Mac OS X 10.4.9

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jul 27 11:44:29 EDT 2007

We're experimenting with r.terraflow as an alternative to r.flow for faster
computation of flow accumulation in a detailed erosion/deposition model
(based on USPED equations) we've recently posted on the SVN addons site. It
may give better results than r.flow in this context. But I agree that it has
been temperamental (though currently working OK under FC6). Helena mentioned
that a new and much improved version is in the works. So we might not want
to relegate it to the scrap heap yet.

Michael

On 7/27/07 5:18 AM, "Brad Douglas" <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 22:29 +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> [Well, personally I would just remove r.terraflow, having been written
>> without any consideration for GRASS' build system or coding
>> conventions, or portability in general. But that's just me.]
>
> I agree with the sentiment, but I don't know how practical that is at
> the moment.
>
> r.terraflow breaks often, has been a headache to maintain and the author
> does not have the time/resources to keep it current.  OTOH, it is a
> useful module and is portable in the sense that there is a ArcGIS
> version.
>
> Perhaps relegate it to the SVN addon repository since it does break so
> many GRASS conventions?  I wish we had some statistics on module
> frequency to determine how inconvenient such a move would be.
> Personally, I've only used r.terraflow on occasion, but that type of
> analysis is not my forte.

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University