[GRASS-dev] resolving more menu issues

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jun 9 16:25:14 EDT 2007

I¹ve come across a couple more menu issues that I¹d like to propose solving
in a general way that will work with multiple GUI¹s

1. Currently, there are scripts that are only used (or only easily used) by
the GUI. These reside in $GISBASE/etc/gm/script. The reason for these
scripts is to overcome some inherent limitations of the interface to several
important GRASS commands. For example, one script (r.colors.rules) allows
you to chose the file for which you want to manage colors interactively
through the GUI, then launches r.colors so that it opens an interactive
xterm for setting color rules. Another provides a functional GUI interface
to v.type without needing an interactive xmon. Yet another allows you to use
the GUI to specify a reclassification file to send to r.reclass. You get the
idea.

Having them buried in $GISBASE/etc/gm/script makes them more difficult for
anything but the TclTk GUI to access these scripts. Some are primarily for
the GUI, but others might be more broadly useful.

I propose either moving these to a new directory $GISBASE/scripts/gui and
adding this as a path in init.sh OR simply moving them to $GISBASE/scripts.
Several are now obsolete (e.g., d.text.sh and v.in.asciipoints) and could be
removed. I¹d change the reference to them in the GUI (i.e., no longer
necessary to specify a full path).

Is this OK with everyone?

2. Related to this, I¹d like to make a couple more of the scripts obsolete
if someone can help.

r.reclass and r.recode can use input files for reclass/recode rules. But the
only way to get the file into either command is via a redirect. (e.g., [path
to file] > r.reclass). Can a file= argument be added to both of these like
it was recently added to r.colors? This would dispense with these scripts.

Thanks
Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University