[GRASS-dev] d.rast.edit in wxgrass

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jun 14 17:49:04 EDT 2007

On 6/14/07 12:28 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>> GRASS command parsing from the wxgrass CLI:
>>
>> Split the command into a list by spaces. I realize that this is a problem
>> for any command with spaces in the arguments, but I know of no better way to
>> do this in this context outside of making users type any command as a Python
>> list. If we made people type ['g.region', 'rast=mymap', 'res=30'] instead of
>> g.region rast=mymap res=30, I don't think anyone would want to use the CLI.
>
> This is one case where shell=True *is* legitimate. At least with a
> shell, the user can use quotes or backslashes to include spaces in
> arguments. Or you could implement equivalent functionality yourself.

IIUC, if I keep these as strings, I don't think I can use the cmd.Command
class and would have to do a custom version of Popen. Then I'd have to send
them through a different processing path rather than the RunCmd method that
everything else uses.

Michael

> The latter is more work, but you can choose exactly which shell
> functionality you want, e.g. allowing spaces (and other
> metacharacters) without the other shell behaviour (sequences,
> pipelines, redirection, variables, ....).

Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology and Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671