[GRASS-dev] Mac xterm wrapper problem with wxgrass

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jun 23 22:31:59 EDT 2007

I thought you were going to work out some sort of Python way to
handle the need for an xterm?  Or have you gotten that far yet?

In all the tcl scripts I found that use it, it looks like they all
terminate the [command] with &.

Question: is that on PPC or Intel or both?  I've noticed a problem
with grass-xterm-wrapper on PPC - after running GRASS.app once,
future runs fail unless Terminal.app is quit first.  It's strange
because it doesn't always happen, but I think it has something to do
with AppleScript.  ie:

double-click GRASS.app
Terminal starts
grass.sh runs in new Terminal window and Tcl GUI starts
GRASS.app quits
select mapset

double-click GRASS.app again
Terminal activates
grass.sh runs in new Terminal window and Tcl GUI starts (2 running now)
GRASS.app quits
click the Define location with projection values button, so it uses
grass-xterm-wrapper to run set_data in a new Terminal window

quit all running grass shells, but leave Terminal.app running.

double-click GRASS.app again
Terminal activates
[grass.sh does NOT run]
GRASS.app quits

There are also random cases where grass-xterm-wrapper starts a
Terminal window, but never runs the [command] - kinda similar to your
problem.  Hmmm.

It all works fine on my MacBook.

I asked the Applescript list earlier in the week but haven't heard
anything yet (it's an awfully quiet list...).

I have a couple things I'm going to try.  But I may have to revert
grass-xterm-wrapper if I can't figure out what's wrong.

On Jun 23, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> William,
>
> I just had a chance to test the Mac xterm wrapper--that uses the
> terminal rather than an xterm--in wxgrass. It hangs on exit, but it
> may be the way the command is issued.
>
> $GISBASE/etc/grass-xterm-wrapper -name xterm-grass -e $GISBASE/etc/
> grass-run.sh [command]
>
> Is this OK for the Mac wrapper?
>
> It works fine with TclTk.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.