[GRASS-dev] [grass-code R][428] Warn about wrong epsg code when creating a location in grass 6.2

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jun 25 14:16:03 EDT 2007

On 6/25/07 10:16 AM, "Maciej Sieczka" <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>> AFAICT, there is no way for the GUI to know if an EPSG code is bad. Perhaps
>> g.proj can test for this, but I wouldn't count on it.
>
> GDAL's epsg_tr.py can do it:
>
> $ epsg_tr.py 1333
>
> ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 1333 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
> this a valid
> EPSG coordinate system?
> Unable to lookup  1333 , either not a valid EPSG
> code, or it the EPSG csv files are not accessable.

The question then is how (or if) we can trap and display such an error. I'd
rather it fail gracefully (i.e., simply not create a location and keep
running) than to crash, but an informative message to the user is even
better.

>> The procedure to create a location from a georeferenced file is different
>> from the procedure to create it from an EPSG code,
>
> But doesn't it depend on extracting the EPSG code from a georeferenced
> file? So if the extracted code was invalid (ie. the file's georeference
> info was corrupted) it could react same as for an invalid EPSG code
> entered?

I guess I don't know. If so, I didn't realize this. This would explain the
email (and my confusion).

Michael

Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology and Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671