[GRASS-dev] M$ SFU instead of Cygwin?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Jun 27 05:06:17 EDT 2007

Hi

Forgive my ignorance but I haven't seen any discussion about this on
GRASS lists yet.

I have just read about Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) [1] -
a UNIX subsystem that integrates with the Windows kernel as the Win32
subsystem does. Unlike Cygwin which runs on top of the Windows shell as
an emulator, SFU implements a true UNIX peer to the Windows shell,
which provides better performance (I heard that GRASS happens to be
slow in Cygwin).

I was wondering if SFU could be help for Windows GRASS users.

SFU provides Korn and C shells, most UNIX core utilities, perl, python,
gcc etc. More are available from [2], eg. BASH.

A problem is that it doesn't work on Windows 9x, Windows XP Home or
Windows Vista.

There's a detailed description of components and functionality on [3].

[1]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=896c9688-601b-44f1-81a4-02878ff11778&displaylang=en
[2]http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/default.aspx
[3]http://www.softpanorama.org/Unixification/SFU/index.shtml

Maciek