slope calculation, was RE: [GRASS-dev] ascii export and import, large file problem

Jerry Nelson gnelson at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 28 17:38:35 EDT 2007

I'm sorry to bug you again about this. Unless I'm doing something really
stupid (which is quite possible), both arcgis and grass do the same thing.
For a file whose x,y units are degrees (WGS84 ellipsoid), the slope tool
assumes the z units are also degrees. Here's a quote from the ESRI website
(http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Hillshade)

If your x,y units are decimal degrees and your z units are meters, some
appropriate z-factors for particular latitudes are:

    Latitude     Z-factor
     0           0.00000898
    10           0.00000912
    20           0.00000956
    30           0.00001036
    40           0.00001171
    50           0.00001395
    60           0.00001792
    70           0.00002619
    80           0.00005156

What I don't understand is that if you know lat and long, why can't the
software automatically figure out what the z-factor should be?

Jerry