[GRASS-dev] ps.map consolidation

Jáchym Čepický jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 12:43:03 EST 2007

Hi,
I started to look into ps.map code and I found few issues, which
should be IMHO solved, so the code looks a bit nicer and the usage is
more consistent.

It would be great, if somebody more skilled would post some comments
to this topic, I will be very much thankful.

1) some instructions (raster, setcolor) do not need to end with "end"
keyword, where others do. this should be IMHO consolidated, so that
ALL instructions will need to end with "end" keyword. we should look
into configuration file of mapserver for inspiration

2) I think, file session.c can be removed. I did not quite understand,
what is this session management about, but it would make the code a
bit simplier and short test showed, it is working also without it (and
I found no other function, which wuold access functions from
session.c)

3) some units are map units by default, where some are percent, some
inches. It would be IMHO great, if the user would have allways to
specify, which units she would like to use (without enything, it would
be map units), example:

text 30% 100% SPEARFISH SOILS MAP
end

text 3cm 10cm SPEARFISH SOILS MAP
end

text 30000.0 20000.04 SPEARFISH SOILS MAP
end

text 1in 1.5in SPEARFISH SOILS MAP
end

currently, only some instructions are supporting %

4) placenemnt should be allways specified with "where" keyword
5) text or other value should be allways specified with "value" keyword:
	text 650000 7365000 SPEARFISH LAND COVER
	end
->
	text
           where 650000 7365000
           value SPEARFISH LAND COVER
	end

6) file (map) names should be allways specified with "name" keyword

example:

	vlines streams
	end
->