[GRASS-dev] [bug #2741] (grass) NVIZ: fly through navigation controls broken

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Mar 5 20:53:01 EST 2007

Maciek Sieczka via RT wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2741
>
> Request number 2741 was commented on by 'msieczka' (Maciek Sieczka).
> Responding to this message will send mail to the requestor.
>
> 			Request Tracker
> 			rt at intevation.de

> Cc: grass-dev at grass.itc.it,m.cuomo at acsys.it
>
> msieczka wrote (Tue, Nov 28 2006 23:26:44):
>
> > I need to look into how the xorg.conf's
> >
> > Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
> >
> > affect this issue (this is the default setting in all Linux distros I ever
> > tried).
>
> So I finally checked it. Yes, this is the culprit. For the flythrough NVIZ
> navigation mouse controls to work correctly one needs to set:
>
> Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
>
> in his X server config to prevent X server from interpretting the mouse
> left+right buttons as the middle button. "Emulate3Buttons" "true" is often set
>  by deafult in various GNU/Linux distros. Is there a way for NVIZ to somehow
> ignore this?

No. The only option is to change the NVIZ bindings so that it doesn't
require LMB+RMB to be pressed simultaneously.

Incidentally, this combination is typically impossible with laptops
which use a touchpad instead of a mouse; there's normally a key which
can be pressed to make the touchpad generate RMB events instead of
LMB, but you can't get both simultaneously.