[GRASS-dev] r.proj.seg disk space usage problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Mar 6 19:39:40 EST 2007

I had a chance today to try a VERY large raster with r.proj.seg.
2.7GB raster, 55000x47000 cells.  The memory issue of r.proj have now
been moved to a HD space issue.  With 7.75GB free, it chokes at about
75% in the allocating memory stage, while free space slowly drops to
zero, with an "Error writing segment file".

It seems r.proj.seg, for its segmentation, creates an uncompressed
copy of the whole raster on the HD (instead of in memory).  I'm
guessing this has something to do with random access speed in rasters?

So I'm back to projecting pieces of the raster, but now so they fit
in my disk free space, and patching them together.  Disappointing,
but if that's the way it must be, I can live with it.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan