[GRASS-dev] Google Summer of Code

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 12 10:47:32 EDT 2007

Paul Kelly wrote:
> Frank and everyone,
> I added a new project (line of sight analysis with a new algorithm -
> something I would do myself if I had the time) to the GRASS SoC page and
> added my name as a mentor directly to the OSGeo application.

Paul,

Thanks

> Some of the other potential GRASS projects seem a bit suspect - e.g.
> better implement PostGIS support? But IIRC we used to have this but it
> was removed because it was realised it was not a good idea? Also
> integrating OGR in vector library? This doesn't seem to make sense as it
> is already substantially done. They would need more detail there or else
> should be removed, IMHO.

For the actual application I just submit a pointer to the ideas list, and so
there is still a couple days to clean up the ideas list.  I would strongly
encourage the GRASS PSC to quickly pare down the ideas list to a short
list that is considered sensible, of suitable complexity for an undergraduate
student to complete in a summer, and that can be documented adequately that
a student could prepare a proposal based on it.

I am concerned that Google may not select OSGeo as a participating organization
if the ideas list offered by the different projects show no coherency.  I must
appologise for the limited direction and support I have provided to projects on
this SoC activity.  It is quite new to me as well.

Best regards,