[GRASS-dev] d.menu, d.ask

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Mar 13 12:32:26 EDT 2007

Just a couple of comments.

First, THANKS very much Glynn for working on this.

On 3/12/07 10:59 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> b) We start on GRASS 7.x. IMO we should decide on if we want to use a
> wxPython GUI or Tcl GUI for GRASS 6.4 before we decide to start that,
> and do the raster format dir rearangement as the first task. I presume
> the low-level raster format change can happen later, just use different
> element names for the new format ($MAPSET/raster/$MAPNAME/element).

This is a good point. The wxPython GUI is coming along very well, thanks to
the efforts of Jáchym and Martin. I've finally been able to rejoin the
development. With 3 (or more???) of us working on it, it should move along
at a nice pace.

>> Apart from being an artifact of using libraster as a GUI toolkit,
>> D_popup() is one of the few users of the R_panel_*() functions. The
>> only other users are non-essential functionality in d.barscale
>
> I'm a big fan of the 'd.barscale -m' try-before-you-buy functionality;
> In fact I've always meant to port that to d.text.* and d.legend, but so
> far haven't found the time. It would be slower, but some form of 100%
> panel swap or overlay might work as a way to keep the functionality
> while removing R_panel_() ?

I've already implemented the TclTk equivalent of -m for d.barscale, d.text,
and d.legend in the current GUI. (At least it works for me and my students).

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213