[GRASS-dev] d.menu, d.ask

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Mar 14 10:50:08 EDT 2007

On 3/14/07 5:48 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> $ $GISBASE/etc/wx/gism2.py
> bash: /opt/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/wx/gism2.py: Permission denied
> $ chmod +x $GISBASE/etc/wx/gism2.py
> $ $GISBASE/etc/wx/gism2.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/opt/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/wx/gism2.py", line 5, in ?
>    import wx.lib.customtreectrl as CT
> ImportError: No module named customtreectrl
>
> Presumably I need a specific version of wxWidgets or wxPython?

Glynn,

Because the Python/wxPython versions will tend to become defacto 'frozen' as
soon as many people start to use this, we're trying to do initial
development with the most current stable versions of both.

This is currently Python 2.5 and wxPython 2.8.1.1

OTOH, customtreectrl is available as a separate download somewhere (Andrea
Gavena is the author I think), released in early 2006. Similarly, the
notebook control that we're using (FlatNotebook) was released in October
2006. Both are now included in the main wxPython distribution and provide
nice functionality over the older tree and notebook controls that is
especially useful in the GRASS context.

With respect to installation, I think that Jáchym or Martin is planning to
produce a regular Python package as soon as we have something that works.
About 6 months ago, the GUI actually displayed maps in the Python canvas (to
show that it would indeed work). Since that time, the code has undergone
significant restructuring and refactoring. In the process, the ability to
actually display something has been broken AFAICT. But we're getting close
to putting the pieces back together and have some real functionality again.

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213