[GRASS-dev] New directional buffering module or modified v.buffer

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Mar 14 17:30:13 EDT 2007

Trevor Wiens wrote:
> I posted a question some time ago about directional or differential
> buffering. I've managed to resolve my bugs and am now unsure what is the
> best way to incorporate this code back into GRASS. I assume it is
> desirable as I assume others may find it useful from time to time.

Trevor,

Sure, sounds interesting! I'm also hoping that your v.buffer
modification will not suffer from the bug v.buffer does. Can you try
creating a vector in a following way,

$ v.in.ascii out=ditch_1205 form=standard -n << EOF
B  4
 600727.68682251 5677973.32091602
 600739.16582305 5678137.49568095
 600736.32863997 5678140.4618269
 600730.63832718 5678056.67823368
B  2
 600730.63832718 5678056.67823368
 600725.02385533 5677974.01131491
C  1 1
 600730.04890192 5678035.56666655
 1     1205
B  2
 600727.68682251 5677973.32091602
 600725.02385533 5677974.01131491
EOF

reproduce the following 2 commands with v.buffer.ellipsoid:

$ v.buffer ditch_1205 out=ditch_1205_b1 type=area buffer=1
$ v.buffer ditch_1205 out=ditch_1205_b4 type=area buffer=4

and let us know if the resulting buffers are OK? Most folks who tried
it (actually, everyone who reported, besides Hamish) confirmed the
output of v.buffer was bad. If v.buffer.ellipsoid has this problem
fixed, it would be great news and I'd say that it should replace
v.buffer then, if possible.

Cheers
Maciek