[GRASS-dev] Python GUI issues

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Mar 17 16:42:52 EDT 2007

I'm continuing to cross-post at the moment, but don't mind moving the day to
day discussions to GRASSGUI.

On 3/17/07 10:28 AM, "Brad Douglas" <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 14:18 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> First, should we keep discussion of this on this list, or resurrect
>> grass-gui?
>
> I believe there is enough current and future activity to merit moving to
> grass-gui and cc:'ing devel on "monumental" changes/discussion.
>
> Personally, I would appreciate it so that it further segregates the
> fairly high volume of email from the devel list and it would be easier
> for me to follow the various discussions.
>
> PS -
> I started playing with the wxPython code a little bit yesterday.  I
> don't seem to be able to add a raster or vector map to the display, but
> other things seem to work.  Is that part of the code something that
> hasn't been fully enabled, yet, or is there more info or dependencies I
> need?

Try the most recent svn versions. I'm convalescing at home and am avoiding
boredom (and 'real' work) by a lot of development on the new GUI. Now you
can add rasters, vectors, and ad hoc d.* commands. All should display in the
canvas now.

> wxPython is going to be the preferred GUI for future development,
> correct?

We've started to get considerable momentum going for this and a real team of
interface developers. It is mature, rich, and well-developed on all
platforms which run GRASS. It also has the advantage of making it more
normal to work with Python in GRASS. So yes--unless someone else wants to
take over from this group and start from scratch on another platform ;-)

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213