[GRASSGUI] Re: [GRASS-dev] d.rast still noisy

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 23 01:06:08 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> > > d.rast is still noisy, even with the quiet flag. Can we turn this
> > > stuff off somehow?
> > >
> > > d.rast agro_soils --q
> > > WARNING: 'cell/agro_soils' was found in more mapsets (also found in
> > > user1).
> > > WARNING: using 'agro_soils at PERMANENT'.
> >
> > WARNINGs are not affected by verbosity controls. The above warning is
> > there for a reason, as you have requested an ambiguous action.
>
> This is not an ambiguous action.

Only in the sense that, ultimately, all actions are unambiguous,
insofar as that they have a concrete end result.

OTOH, the action may well have non-obvious consequences, which is
probably a more useful classification than whether or not it is
ambiguous.

> I'm picking the version of the file in the
> current mapset. For that, it is unnecessary to specify the mapset.

Incorrect.

If you want the version which comes first in the mapset search path,
then it's unnecessary to specify the mapset. The current mapset
doesn't have to be the first one in the search path; that's just the
default if you don't specify an explicit search path.

> So what if there is another file with the same name in another
> mapset?

That file may well have been the one which you intended to use.

> I may have 10
> files with that name in different places. What does this matter. If I want
> to pick any file outside the current mapset, I should specify it.

You are free to set an explicit search path containing only the
current mapset (and not PERMANENT), but that isn't the default. The
default is the current mapset followed by PERMANENT. If you set a
search path which only contains one mapset (e.g. the current mapset),
you will never get more than one match for an unqualified name, and
thus will never see the warning.