[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] changing data for parser

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 01:26:07 EDT 2007

Daniel Calvelo wrote:
> Having a (mostly) working wxPython GUI, I have bumped into the problem
> of having waaaaaay too long descriptions that are fed as labels in the
> GUI.

Then they are options which should get a ->label = "short description"
added to them. That's what ->label is there for (apparently). Note the
tcl GUIs will wrap long descriptions onto the next line if it looks like
they will collide with the "key_desc: gisprompt, required" text. Then
set a max/standard width & there's no problem.

Automatically breaking at the first punctuation char will lead to weird
breakage. Some people (like me) have a bad habit of using parenthetical
phrases mid-sentence. Better to craft it by hand with ->label if needed.

Chopping out info from ->description to make them shorter, without
relocating it to a tooltip and without losing meaning is very hard.
At minimum the info needs to be relocated into the help page.

I have updated the ->descriptions /* comment */ in gis.h to better
describe what that is for (describing the option's ->options=",,,").

I don't understand this:
    char *guisection;
     /* GUI Layout guidance: ';' delimited heirarchical tree position */

so how is ";" used here??  (see lib/gis/gui.tcl)

Hamish