[GRASS-dev] discussion: replacing ps.map

tlaronde at polynum.com tlaronde at polynum.com
Tue Mar 27 15:49:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 11:36:39AM -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 10:08, tlaronde at polynum.com wrote:
> >
> > 3) How can you propose to drop ps.map(1) while the MapServer
> > alternative:
> > 	a) does not provide the same features as ps.map(1)---no legend, no
> > 	scalebar etc.---;
> > 	b) relies on PDFlib Lite, that is a stripped down version of the
> > 	commercial PDFlib, whose licence would be suddenly acceptable while
> > 	you frown at OpenMotif or QT?

> these claims are mostly wrong and completely disingenuous- you have obviously
> never used mapserver to its fullest potential.

I obviously answer about the proposal for the replacement of ps.map(1),
that is the PDF output from Mapserver, and the reference is the link
given by Jachim:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/pdf-output

so:

---CITATION---
2   What is currently supported and not supported

Vector Layers

Layer Point: supported

Layer Line: supported

Note: Dashed lines are supported with PDFlib version 6 or greater.

Layer Polygon: supported

Note: Polygons filled with symbols are not supported.

Layer Circle : not supported

Layer Annotation: supported

Raster Layers

Raster layers are supported. Note that at this point all raster layers
are transformed to jpeg format before being written to the PDF file.

WMS Layers

Not yet supported

Surround components

Legend, scalebar are not supported.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fonts

Standard PostScript fonts are supported. For use of other fonts (such as
truetype), see the pdflib documentation for use of UPR description files
(some notes on it are here).
---ENDCITATION---

Furthermore:

---BEGINCITATION---
3.1 Build the PDF Library

In order to have access to the PDF support in MapServer, you should
download and build the PDF library from
http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib/. Please follow the instructions
on the PDFLib site to build on your specific platforms.
---ENDCITATION---

If what I wrote was disingeneous you should post a bug report against
mapserver documentation...
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/