[GRASS-dev] discussion: replacing ps.map

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:53:09 EDT 2007

hi,
2007/3/27, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>:
> Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> >
> > while ps.map is nice tool for creating hard copy maps in GRASS, it is
> > not sufficient for some more complicated tasks and correct me if I'm
> > wrong, there is no _real_ maintainer of it's code, who would be able
> > to write new functions for it.
>
> yes there is, me.  (but to be honest I can only (for the most part)
> justify the time to add new functions as required by my work)

sorry, Hamish, I did not forget you, but as you are working
everywhere, I forgot, you did also big ps.map improvements.

> > 2) GMT
>
> I would welcome improved GMT import/export tools for GRASS.
>

> I take it you are finding writing a wxPython frontend to ps.map to be a
> big pain?
>

> Hamish

I would not say, it would be more complicated for ps.map as for any
other tool in the meaning of "code GUI for configuration file
creation". I'm just thinking about what tool to choose as back end,
which would be "powerful enough". E.g. to place legend box where you
want on the page and adjust it to your needs is a problem (I allready
wrote this: you never know, how big the legend box will be, you can
not separate each legend item and place it where ever you want and how
you wont). All this should be possible with python-mapscript (I guess
at least).

Purpose of the first e-mail was to ask more skilled developers and
some advanced users, if it would be in general bad idea looking after
some exteral tool and maybe find out, what would the majority advise.

IMHO we can only hard advice a general user, that she should use e.g.
inkscape for custom legend creation.

jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky